dcsimg
Deploying Tomcat in Java Web Start
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Adam_Hudspith
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 19, 2002 08:07 AM

Hello, I am developing a web application that also needs to run in remote (or offline) mode, ie running a web server on a disconnected machine such as a laptop. I have tried using Oracle Lite Web-To-Go for this purpose but I'm looking for a better, less proprietry solution. My plan is to run Tomcat as a Java Web Start application. Is this possible? Has anyone done this? I guess I just need to configure Tomcat to load everything from the classpath instead of file system - how is this done? I would be very grateful for any help. By the way, rewriting the app to use Swing instead of HTML interface is not an option! Thanks, Adam.    More>>

Hello,

I am developing a web application that also needs to run in remote (or offline) mode, ie running a web server on a disconnected machine such as a laptop. I have tried using Oracle Lite Web-To-Go for this purpose but I'm looking for a better, less proprietry solution.

My plan is to run Tomcat as a Java Web Start application. Is this possible? Has anyone done this?
I guess I just need to configure Tomcat to load everything from the classpath instead of file system - how is this done?

I would be very grateful for any help.
By the way, rewriting the app to use Swing instead of HTML interface is not an option!
Thanks,

Adam.

<<Less

Re: Deploying Tomcat in Java Web Start

Posted By:   Jens_Dibbern  
Posted On:   Thursday, November 28, 2002 10:37 AM

I suppose it would be easier to build a Web Start Tomcat installer, which has to be signed to access the local hard disk.

But since Tomcat too usually tries to write to the local hard disk (log files, generated jsp code and classes), you'll have to sign your archives anyway.

Just build a single Tomcat jar, ask for an installation path and unpack Tomcat right there.

HTH

Jens
About | Sitemap | Contact