Java IDE
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Emmanuel_Agha
Posted On:   Wednesday, September 4, 2002 08:37 AM

Suggest for me the best or popular Java IDE to purchase for my new project. I have worked with IBM VisualAge and JBuilder.

Re: Java IDE

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 5, 2002 12:56 AM

I have been a faithfull user of JBuilder since 3.0 and always found it convenient for the job. Borland is also very good in my mind at keeping up with the changing landscape (regular 6 month release schedule).

I also started to use eclipse a few month ago, and found that it has some very well thought out productivity oriented features... one of my favorites is ... tooltips/completion. I confess... even though i have been using java since the first JDK, I am a major adict for auto-completion. I use new libraries on a monthly basis, and would not have the time to try to learn them all to the last parameter type...

The only thing to remember about eclipse and its IBM branded counterparts is that they do not have a GUI designer built-in yet. However, they are very good for server based development.

cheers
laurent

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Wednesday, September 4, 2002 08:46 AM

I really like IBM WebSphere Studio Application Developer (or the cheaper version "Site Developer, Advanced").

It is built on top of Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) which is good too but the IBM version adds a lot of other good stuff (JSP, HTML syntax highlighting, database schemas, XML editing, ...).

We're trying to figure out if we can get WSAD as an upgrade (cheaper than buying the whole new thing), to our previous VAJ licenses.

Posted By:   AlessandroA_Garbagnati  
Posted On:   Wednesday, September 4, 2002 08:44 AM

Hi,

After working some times with JBuilder 7, and since you have already worked with it, I would strongly suggest you to stay with it.

I have found it way better than Forte and Visual Age.
About | Sitemap | Contact