dcsimg
synchronized affects static data?
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   nuno_oliveira
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 3, 2002 01:16 PM

By saying that a static method is synchronized do I get synchronization for the static data ? The compiler actualy lets me get away with this but is that an hint that in fact static data synchronization is obtained like that? I mean, does the class object that gets locked include the static data ?

Thanks,
Nuno

Re: synchronized affects static data?

Posted By:   Steven_Rose  
Posted On:   Wednesday, September 11, 2002 02:11 PM

When a normal method is synchronized, the calling thread must obtain a lock on the object (the class instance) before it is allowed to enter the sync block. This does not affect other instances or class (static) data.

If you wish to sync on class data, then the static accessors/mutators for that data must be marked synchronized, and in this case, what happens is exactly what you would expect. Before a thread can enter that block, an object lock associated with the class data must first be acquired. This lock controls access to all static data in the object as though all that static data were just another instance (though it is not, of course), meaning that it doesn't affect any instances or instance data of the object.

This is one reason I've never understood why developers mix static and non-static methods in their classes. When I write a class, I always group the static data and static methods together at the top, and then the instance data, constructors, and instance methods at the bottom.

One thing you should watch out for is deadlocks. A deadlock occurs when thread A has called a sync method on object X, acquired the lock, which in turn calls a sync method on object Y. Meanwhile, thread B has already acquired a lock on object Y by calling a sync method, and that method calls another sync method into object X. What happens? Both threads are put to sleep when they try to acquire each other's locks, and neither will ever be able to release the lock as a result.

How to avoid this? It is advisable that, once within a sync block, you never call into another sync block. It doesn't have to be a direct call either, you can call a method that calls a method that calls a sync method and causes a deadlock. Since it is common for class and instance methods to call back and forth, you have to watch out for this. You don't want thread A calling into a sync instance method and thread B calling into a sync class method and have a deadlock situation result.

sev

Posted By:   Rob_Eamon  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 3, 2002 01:50 PM

For a static method, a lock for the class is acquired before executing the method. You do not get automatic synchronization for the static data. Other threads will be free to modify static data directly if coded to do so. This behavior is exactly the same as it is for instance methods and data, just at the class level. Heed the advice of Zac and use only synchronized accessors to mess with your static data.

Posted By:   Zac_Jacobson  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 3, 2002 01:23 PM

Make the accessor and mutator for your data synchronized, and only access this data via those methods. Access to a static member outside of a synchronized block will not be locked out if another Thread is accessing it in a synchronized block somewhere else. All access must be synchronized.

About | Sitemap | Contact