dcsimg
Novice: Getting Started
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   tom_carrier
Posted On:   Monday, August 26, 2002 08:06 AM

Hi All. I am new to Ant. I am using WindowsME (maybe my first problem). I have download the Ant1-5.zip file, and unzipped it. I have set my classpath=c:Ant in;c:Antlib. I have set my path to c:Ant in. When I type Ant from the Dos command line I get a list of Java Options as if I typed "java" at the command line instead of Ant. What's up with that ? Shouid I be typing Java Ant? Are Ant and DOS together not a good idea ? Is it better to run Ant under Cygwin ? I do not see an install or a setup.exe, is there something further that I need to do to get Ant running ?    More>>

Hi All.

I am new to Ant.

I am using WindowsME (maybe my first problem).

I have download the Ant1-5.zip file, and unzipped it.

I have set my classpath=c:Ant in;c:Antlib.

I have set my path to c:Ant in.

When I type Ant from the Dos command line I get a list of Java Options as if I typed "java" at the command line instead of Ant.

What's up with that ? Shouid I be typing Java Ant?

Are Ant and DOS together not a good idea ?

Is it better to run Ant under Cygwin ?

I do not see an install or a setup.exe, is there something
further that I need to do to get Ant running ?

Thank you

Tom

<<Less

Re: Novice: Getting Started

Posted By:   Roseanne_Zhang  
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 27, 2002 02:40 PM

I run ant in dos/cygwin/unix, no problems. All you need to set are ANT_HOME and JAVA_HOME, then add %ANT_HOME%/bin into your path. Yes, foward slash even in windows. Only place you cannot use foward slash is inside dos console window itself.

Posted By:   Roseanne_Zhang  
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 27, 2002 02:39 PM

I run ant in dos/cygwin/unix, no problems. All you need to set are ANT_HOME and JAVA_HOME, then add %ANT_HOME%/bin into your path. Yes, foward slash even in windows. Only place you cannot use foward slash is inside dos console window itself.

Posted By:   Lasse_Koskela  
Posted On:   Monday, August 26, 2002 12:43 PM

I'd suggest you take a look at the Ant documentation at http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/index.html.
It really does tell you what the command line options mean.

But no, you shouldn't type java ant. There is some batch file like ant.bat, which should be used.

Ant works fine with DOS/Windows, in my opinion even better than on UNIX because otherwise it would be hell trying to compile stuff on Windows (I'm not too good at DOS shell scripting)... If you have Cygwin on your Windows, then hell yeah, use it! The features of Cygwin are way over DOS prompt... But if you don't have Cygwin already and you're not too comfortable installing it, you should do just fine with DOS prompt.

Posted By:   tom_carrier  
Posted On:   Monday, August 26, 2002 12:41 PM

I answered my own question.

I went to the Ant Home page and found a patch for an Ant1.5 that has to do with using Dos syntax for path and classpath and downloaded it.

In my Build.xml file I changed all path syntax to Unix.
(Forward Slash, instead of backslash).

Now I can execute Ant successfully from Cygwin.

I still cannot execute Ant from a DOS prompt, and I do not see any doc saying that you have to use Cygwin if your Op System is Windows.

Is anybody out there using Ant from Windows without Cygwin?

If yes, how do you execute Ant from the DOS prompt ? I see an Ant.bat file, but that does not do anything.

Thanks for your help !

About | Sitemap | Contact