HTTP Tunneling and callbacks
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Laoise_Murphy
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 25, 2002 08:59 AM

Hi, I want to develop a CORBA client applet to a CORBA server that uses HTTP tunneling (to get through firewalls) but can still handle callbacks (most likely achieved by using bi directional GIOP). Initially I was going to use jacORB but version 1.4 no longer supports HTTP Tunneling. Then I decided to try Visibroker's Gatekeeper product (packaged with Borland Enterprise Server 5.0.2) but I have just read in Visibroker's documentation that you "cannot use callbacks with Http tunneling". Can someone please tell me firstly, is that still true now that bi directional GIOP is supported? And has anyone tried Iona's product to achieve this? Any other ideas/knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated?    More>>

Hi,

I want to develop a CORBA client applet to a CORBA server that uses HTTP tunneling (to get through firewalls) but can still handle callbacks (most likely achieved by using bi directional GIOP).

Initially I was going to use jacORB but version 1.4 no longer supports HTTP Tunneling. Then I decided to try Visibroker's Gatekeeper product (packaged with Borland Enterprise Server 5.0.2) but I have just read in Visibroker's documentation that you "cannot use callbacks with Http tunneling".
Can someone please tell me firstly, is that still true now that bi directional GIOP is supported?
And has anyone tried Iona's product to achieve this?
Any other ideas/knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance,
Laoise

<<Less

Re: HTTP Tunneling and callbacks

Posted By:   jeff_currier  
Posted On:   Friday, August 2, 2002 11:03 AM

First, to the Iona question. Iona used to have a product
to tunnel the requests however this was discontinued.
I don't believe it support callbacks although one would
think if bidirectional support is enabled I can't think
of why it wouldn't.

I believe Iona's future direction (that is with Orbix E2A)
is to do one of the following:

1) Wait from them to implement the CORBA firewall spec.

2) Use the XML plug-in with their ART archtiecture so that
communication is done via SOAP rather then GIOP.

Hope this helps,

--Jeff--

Re: HTTP Tunneling and callbacks

Posted By:   Mike_Friedrich  
Posted On:   Wednesday, June 26, 2002 12:46 PM

As i know, callbacks are not possible with http-tunneling due to limits of the http protocol.

Regards, Mike

About | Sitemap | Contact