dcsimg
<p>Is the standard JDBC-ODBC driver good enough?</p>
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Derek_Illchuk
Posted On:   Saturday, March 16, 2002 12:42 PM

I am developing a JSP internet database application, and am currently stuck with using Access 2000 (until I decide to shell out more cash to get a provider with JSP and MySQL). I am using the JDBC-ODBC driver that comes with Java2. I have been noticing problems when having more than one session open at a time. When closing a connection, a SQLException: General Error is sometimes thrown. The connection does indeed close, but I get the exception. So far, I can keep these exceptions well-handled as to not affect the actual operation of my application, but am not sure of the effects with, say, 20 concurrent sessions. In your humble opinion, if I stick with this setup, am I basically holding on to a sinking ship? Or can I manage? P.S.   More>>

I am developing a JSP internet database application, and am currently stuck with using Access 2000 (until I decide to shell out more cash to get a provider with JSP and MySQL). I am using the JDBC-ODBC driver that comes with Java2.

I have been noticing problems when having more than one session open at a time. When closing a connection, a SQLException: General Error is sometimes thrown. The connection does indeed close, but I get the exception. So far, I can keep these exceptions well-handled as to not affect the actual operation of my application, but am not sure of the effects with, say, 20 concurrent sessions.

In your humble opinion, if I stick with this setup, am I basically holding on to a sinking ship? Or can I manage?

P.S. Anybody know about any free JDBC-ODBC drivers meant for internet-use out there?

Derek

<<Less

Re: <p>Is the standard JDBC-ODBC driver good enough?</p>

Posted By:   Frank_Nielsen  
Posted On:   Sunday, March 17, 2002 03:22 AM

Hi Derek

I'm currently running MySql with a native driver (mm.mysql-2.0.4-bin.jar) on Linux without any troubles. I have tested the solution on Windows running ODBC to MSSQL and it works fine. So i have not encounted any problems with eihter JDBC or ODBC.

Regarding you Exception, maybe it is present because of a previous error. Try check all error conditions: conn.getWarnings() etc. It can also be Access, it is not good with multible connections/executions.

Cheers, Frank
About | Sitemap | Contact