dcsimg
Bizarrely long delays in <tt>publisher.publish()</tt> using queues.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Friday, February 15, 2002 11:55 AM

Publishing messages (of type ObjectMessage) across topics sometimes takes a long time. Each message is a little more than 1k, but running in one application the publish() takes about 200 milliseconds, whereas running in another app, it take s only 20 milliseconds. Both pairs of apps are running on the same box at the sa me time. Both sets of messages are sent across topics created by createTopic(String) . Both onMessage() functions pull the content out of the message an d then stick it in a queue to be dealt with by another thread. What are some possible causes for these delays? I'm fairly certain that these de lays are in the client libraries (becaus   More>>

Publishing messages (of type ObjectMessage) across topics sometimes takes a long
time. Each message is a little more than 1k, but running in one application the
publish() takes about 200 milliseconds, whereas running in another app, it take
s only 20 milliseconds. Both pairs of apps are running on the same box at the sa
me time.

Both sets of messages are sent across topics created by createTopic(String) . Both onMessage() functions pull the content out of the message an
d then stick it in a queue to be dealt with by another thread.

What are some possible causes for these delays? I'm fairly certain that these de
lays are in the client libraries (because of the different behaviours for these
apps). Please give me some leads to track these timing issues down.

<<Less

Re: Bizarrely long delays in <tt>publisher.publish()</tt> using queues.

Posted By:   Andreas_Mueller  
Posted On:   Friday, February 15, 2002 12:54 PM

That might be the flow control. There is pub/sub flow control in the TopicManager Swiftlet and PTP flow control for queues. If you bridge a message from a topic to a queue and the queue is flow controlled, it cascaded back to the topic and back to the publisher, since you block onMessage. Switch flow control off, either pub/sub or ptp (the queue) of both.
About | Sitemap | Contact