How to test bulk mailing?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Darren_Phillips
Posted On:   Thursday, February 14, 2002 01:35 PM

I have a mail servlet that is failing to send more than 500 mails.

I am doing it in a rather inefficient way, looping over the array of addresses and sending each mail individually. However I have seen the error of my ways and have a couple of ideas to improve this. Passing the array of addresses directly to sendMessage and splitting the addresses up into blocks.

My problem is, how do I test this? Ideally I would like to send 5,000 mails to be sure that the improvements are sufficient. However I do not want to send test mails out to the clientÂ’s customers.

Re: How to test bulk mailing?

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Wednesday, February 20, 2002 09:51 AM

how about unplugging the network cord when you do the test? you can physically do it, or you can also change the routing table on the server when you do your test.

My favorite would be to (provided the mail server is yours) reconfigure the server you want to test so that it only forward its messages to another mail server (configured to not send anything) rather than send directlty. This is a basic configuration option on Exchange server and most servers I know. This last way is the one which will give you the closest measurement of the server's capacity to handle the load. makes sense?

cheers

Re: How to test bulk mailing?

Posted By:   John_Zukowski  
Posted On:   Friday, February 15, 2002 07:13 PM

Go to yahoo and create 5000 bogus accounts??? :-) Short of something like that, there is no real way to test if the messages got through. There are some pointers in the FAQ already about sending bulk messages.
About | Sitemap | Contact