digital signatures in java card
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Scott_S
Posted On:   Saturday, January 5, 2002 12:57 AM

Hi, I just came across this site yesterday...phew....and happy new year. First Q, Can my javacard applet in the card itself sign and verify a text file stored in a harddisk (outside the card)? Second Q, Can it sign or verify a string (outside the card) passed to the javacard ? Third Q, do u know where I can get a quick glimpse on a digital signatures applet code on the net ? I have been searching but to no avail. fourth Q, after generating the keys, where the keys will be stored ? as a string or a hex value? I thinks thats all.....thank you ... Scott... desperate and confused...    More>>

Hi,

I just came across this site yesterday...phew....and happy new year.

First Q, Can my javacard applet in the card itself sign and verify a text file stored in a harddisk (outside the card)?

Second Q, Can it sign or verify a string (outside the card) passed to the javacard ?

Third Q, do u know where I can get a quick glimpse on a digital signatures applet code on the net ? I have been searching but to no avail.

fourth Q, after generating the keys, where the keys will be stored ? as a string or a hex value?

I thinks thats all.....thank you ...

Scott...
desperate and confused...

<<Less

Re: digital signatures in java card

Posted By:   Julien_SIMON  
Posted On:   Monday, January 7, 2002 12:45 AM

Hi Scott, here are some answers for you.

Any data that has to be processed by the card (i.e. by an application running on the card) must be sent to the card using APDUs. Please refer to the Java Card specs and the FAQ if you feel incomfortable with APDUs.

As far as signatures are concerned, it's pretty much the same story. The data to sign has to be sent by the terminal to the card, using one or more APDUs. Once the signature has been performed, the card will return the signature to the terminal.

For sample code (and lots of info), I would really recommend the Java Card book mentioned in the FAQ. It's really great for beginners.

Finally, keys are objects: when a key is generated, its components will be stored as byte arrays inside the relevant type of Java Card object (RSAPrivateKey, RSAPublicKey, etc). Each component can then be fetched or modified, using the get/set methods.

Hope this helps.

About | Sitemap | Contact