i am new to soap

i want to know why shall i use soap

and what are its applications

pls guide

pradeep kharvi

Re: Why,When and Where to use SOAP ?

Posted By:   Bozidar_Dangubic  
Posted On:   Monday, December 24, 2001 05:55 AM

1. why? - because it allows for services-based architecture which allows any client to connect to a service and get the results. you are no longer tied to MS or EJBs or any other architecture. you are using SOAP to connect to service, invoke a method on the service potentially passing some parameters and get back the results from the service. VB client, stand-alone Java client, C/C++ client, web browser, or any other client type can invoke the service.
  2. when? - when you need to support many different clients accessing your application uniformly. if you expose your application as web service using SOAP, all clients of the application will uniformly access your application which in addition to having this great flexibility of allowing many clients which have nothing in common to access your application promotes better maintenance because it eliminates specialized code for specialized clients which is a common programming techinque (you can see it in the blueprints, for instance. if you are familiar with the blueprints, there is no need for RequestToEventTranslator type of classes because the requests coming from distinct clients are all alike).
  3. where? - anywhere you feel you need the benefits of this architecture and where you feel there is a benefit of using services-based architecture.
About | Sitemap | Contact