Xalan and FOP for non-English XML (iso-8859-7)
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Dionysios_Synodinos
Posted On:   Thursday, October 25, 2001 07:47 AM

I'm trying to use xalan-j_2_2_D11 to transform an XML document, which holds text in the Greek language (ISO-8859-7), both to HTML and PDF (Fop-0.20.1). When I run the code for HTML, the Greek characters are escaped to strings beginning with ampersand, which is handled fine by the IE 6 on my PC, but of course it's not possible to edit the HTML code afterwards by had. When I run the code for PDF, the fo file produced doesn't display the Greek characters correctly when opened with a simple text editor, and the PDF produced by it is still doesn't display Greek. What am I doing wrong? Code fragments can be found at _HERE_    More>>

I'm trying to use xalan-j_2_2_D11 to transform an XML document, which
holds text in the Greek language (ISO-8859-7), both to HTML and PDF
(Fop-0.20.1).

When I run the code for HTML, the Greek characters are escaped to
strings beginning with ampersand, which is handled fine by the IE 6 on
my PC, but of course it's not possible to edit the HTML code afterwards
by had.

When I run the code for PDF, the fo file produced doesn't display the
Greek characters correctly when opened with a simple text editor, and
the PDF produced by it is still doesn't display Greek.

What am I doing wrong?

Code fragments can be found at
_HERE_ (IE users view source) since adding XML/HTML
to JGURU is not a trivial task :-)

<<Less

Re: Xalan and FOP for non-English XML (iso-8859-7)

Posted By:   Dionysios_Synodinos  
Posted On:   Wednesday, October 31, 2001 03:35 AM

I found at the Apache Bug Database Bug #1639 which explains that Xalan escapes characters for ISO encodings other than ISO-8, for the time being. The person responsible for developing Xalan was quite polite and explained that the support for other encodings would arise performance issues, but she would look in to it.

The result is that for the time being you cannot use Xalan to do XSLT processing on XML containing Greek characters or any other ISO encodings except ISO-8!

About | Sitemap | Contact