Alternatives to RMI for client - server communication with firewalls
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Lars_Ilebrekke
Posted On:   Friday, September 28, 2001 02:52 PM

I'm currently working on communication between client and server with RMI. This will probably work fine without firewalls and the correct settings on the server side. My problem is firewalls both on the client side and on the server side. I know that RMI automatically will try to communicate over HTTP (tunneling) if there is no other option, but I've also read that not many people succeed with this solution. Does anybody have any good experiences with this, or is there other alternatives just as good? It would be convenient to call methods on the serverside, but the most important thing is the ability to transfer objects from both sides. Any comments will be received with great gratitude! Thanks, Lars    More>>

I'm currently working on communication between client and server with RMI. This will probably work fine without firewalls and the correct settings on the server side. My problem is firewalls both on the client side and on the server side. I know that RMI automatically will try to communicate over HTTP (tunneling) if there is no other option, but I've also read that not many people succeed with this solution.

Does anybody have any good experiences with this, or is there other alternatives just as good? It would be convenient to call methods on the serverside, but the most important thing is the ability to transfer objects from both sides.

Any comments will be received with great gratitude!

Thanks,
Lars

<<Less

Re: Alternatives to RMI for client - server communication with firewalls

Posted By:   Scott_McCrory  
Posted On:   Wednesday, October 24, 2001 09:11 PM

You're faced with one of the primary limitations of RMI and one of the main ones why Web Services (using XML over TCP port 80) are gaining ground. Add to that a really nice Open Source java serialization-to-XML library and you'd not only get through your firewall problem, but you'd also make your software able to interract with non-Java applications as well. However, there's a lot of overhead to Web Services, and therin lies the rub for small to medium-sized applications. For more infomation, just do a Google search for Web Services and prepare to have a couple of weeks consumed reading the results... :-)
About | Sitemap | Contact