dcsimg
Internet and Intranet devlopment
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   sona_s
Posted On:   Monday, August 13, 2001 10:10 PM

What is the basic difference in developing a internet or intranet application. If using j2ee (EJB,JSP, Weblogic Oracle 8i) , how does it makes a difference if its internet or intranet application

Re: Internet and Intranet devlopment

Posted By:   Luigi_Viggiano  
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 14, 2001 05:29 AM

In developement there's no difference; just you can assume that in an intranet the comunications will be faster, you can check easily wich browser users will use, the screen resolution, you can know more or less how many people will use the application, their skill level, and this could help you in choices designing the new intranet application.

Viceversa, writing an internet application you have no idea of what browser (does it support JavaScript? Applets? Cookies?) and OS users will use, their skill, and how many people will connect to your app (and concurrently). Also security is an issue, because someone could find work-arounds and may be difficult to trak back what happened. The "back button problem", needs to make you careful, and always to check the state of the objects in session.

From the point of view of technologies, there are not so much differences. Personally I avoid to use JavaScript (expecially field checks in JavaScript) and I make my html more precise as possible to avoid any incompatibility with the client's browser.
It's always good if the database is not accessible from internet (putting it behind a firewall for example), and fix eventual security problems with JSP (the weblogic 5.1 'file servlet' can serve JSP sources to the client for example, and there are also other ways to do that). Also the EJB server is better if is not directly accessible from the client (what happens if the client is able to use an EJB directly?).

Generally, we can say that an internet application needs coding with much more cautions.

About | Sitemap | Contact