JB5: has anyone got CVSHelper working?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Paul_Davis
Posted On:   Monday, July 9, 2001 07:42 AM

There is a "helper" app which ships with JB5 called cvshelper - it is supposed to provide a listing of the modules and tagged versions available on a cvs server, designed for use in the "Check out CVS project" wizard to autopopulate the Module Name and Branch boxes in step 3. The idea is that you install cvshelper on the same machine as your CVS server and it will automagically peform the module/branch queries on the repository for you. However, try as I might, I cannot get the thing to work. First problem is the "Linux" binary on the CD is actually a Solaris binary so it won't work on my Linux box. No problem, I'll use the NT version on my NT box (which has a working pserver CVS server). cvshe   More>>

There is a "helper" app which ships with JB5 called cvshelper - it is supposed to provide a listing of the modules and tagged versions available on a cvs server, designed for use in the "Check out CVS project" wizard to autopopulate the Module Name and Branch boxes in step 3.

The idea is that you install cvshelper on the same machine as your CVS server and it will automagically peform the module/branch queries on the repository for you.

However, try as I might, I cannot get the thing to work. First problem is the "Linux" binary on the CD is actually a Solaris binary so it won't work on my Linux box. No problem, I'll use the NT version on my NT box (which has a working pserver CVS server). cvshelper.exe starts, listens on the appropriate port (2442 by default).
But no autopopulation of the wizard dialog.

So, I telnet to 2442 and attempt to run the commands listed in the documentation:

• about
  • getVersion
  • getModules
  • getBranches
  • getLabels
  • quit

about, getVersion and quit (i.e. the non-useful functions ;-)) work fine, but trying to use getModules getBranches and getLabels all result in an error message:

E0040: You're not authorized to query.

This is not an issue with the CVS pserver or ACLs - it runs fine with WinCVS, cvs commandline, jCVS, etc. etc. I have also spotted the line in the Release notes about the cygwin1.dll and ensured I copied that over as well. I have tried querying cvshelper locally (ie with JB5 and telnet on the same box as the CVS server) and remotely (from workstation without CVS server installed) all with the same result. As far as I can tell, cvshelper either just doesn't work or else some other config is required to get it working which isn't mentioned in the docs.

I have asked about this on the borland newsgroups and although the TeamB guys have been great and made many helpful suggestions, so far none of them have been in the right direction and to date I have yet to hear from anyone that they have actually got cvshelper to work! So, anyone out there know if this thing actually works or should I just give up on it altogether?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Paul D

<<Less

Re: JB5: has anyone got CVSHelper working?

Posted By:   Peter_Eggen  
Posted On:   Monday, October 29, 2001 01:20 AM

Hi Paul,

seems that I have discovered the very same thing. However I even didn't get the thing to work when using WinCVS or the cvs command line and would rather appreciate if you drop me a note when you get it further down and how you get at least the cvs command line to work with cvshelper.

Interesting is that the cvs works fine -and even populates the lists - when working locally or via a shared network drive. However I have read that a shared network drive (such as for MS Source Safe) is not recommended with CVS.

Regards Peter
About | Sitemap | Contact