dcsimg
Besides the Evil Empire, why does my Java program sometimes lock up my PC?
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Steve_Anderson
Posted On:   Thursday, June 7, 2001 08:24 AM

I created a small Java app which extends JFrame and periodically checks my two POP3 mailboxes, returning the sender and subject of any new messages found. Every so often my PC(running Win98) locks up, when I run the program (via a batch file). I usually just kill the process and rerun it, but sometimes I am forced to reboot and as Windows fails to repaint/refresh properly. I suspected it may be my personal firewall software, Blackice, so now I stop Blackice, start my Java app and restart the firewall. Unfortunately, this has reduced the risk of startup problems, but not eliminated them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.    More>>

I created a small Java app which extends JFrame and periodically checks my two POP3 mailboxes, returning the sender and subject of any new messages found.

Every so often my PC(running Win98) locks up, when I run the program (via a batch file).

I usually just kill the process and rerun it, but sometimes I am forced to reboot and as Windows fails to repaint/refresh properly.

I suspected it may be my personal firewall software, Blackice, so now I stop Blackice, start my Java app and restart the firewall.

Unfortunately, this has reduced the risk of startup problems, but not eliminated them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact