How to control animated images?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Neil_Weber
Posted On:   Friday, May 25, 2001 09:37 AM

I've got a standard GIF89a animated image. I'd like to pause and resume the animation within my application. Looking through the AWT code, I didn't see any mechanism for this. Is it possible?

If not, I'll have to break the GIF into multiple images and animate it my self. How would I use ImageFilter (or whatever) to separate the image frames?

Re: How to control animated images?

Posted By:   Finlay_McWalter  
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 12, 2001 05:34 PM

This is a bit of a hack, but it should work.

When you're displaying the image, you'll probably be monitoring its loading with an ImageObserver - this will give you a FRAMEBITS callback each time a GIF frame is ready for display. Normally you'd then draw the image onto whatever control (Canvas, usually) that you want it displayed on. In your case, if you're in "pause" mode then you just ignore the FRAMEBITS callback and don't do a paint.

As I said, this is a hack, as it has the
following drawbacks:

1. if you're forced by the Window Manager to repaint the Canvas, then you'll draw a new GIF frame, which won't
    match what's already there - so if the repaint is partial then you'll see a
    "torn" image (parts of one frame and parts of another). To fix this, keep a valid frame of the image (generally the last one) in an offscreen image, and use
    that to service repaint requests.
  2. the animation continues in the background, so when you resume the drawing you will not pick up where you left off. There is no API to stop the AWT internal thread that's doing this, so you have two (horrible) solutions:

• make an offscreen image each time a FRAMEBITS is done. This is finite, providing the GIF doesn't cycle.
    • somehow find the Thread that's doing the decoding (by walking around the ThreadGroup heirarchy in a very non-portable way) and then calling the deprecated method Thread.suspend() on it. This is a very bad thing to do :)

Re: How to control animated images?

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Friday, May 25, 2001 10:27 AM

Take a look to this pages. They could give you some hints:

JavaTM Advanced Imaging API

and in particolar you can take a look to a bug for release 1.0.2, related to animated gifs and some workaraounds:

JavaTM Advanced Imaging 1.0.2 - Known Issues and Bugs (it's the first one on the page).

Regards.
About | Sitemap | Contact