JNDI Fails on Windows 2000
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Steven_Webster
Posted On:   Friday, May 11, 2001 02:08 AM

I've experienced this problem now on several jobs, in several different situations - Using BEA Weblogic 6.0, using JBoss, trying to do JMS using iBus, and most recently, trying to do EJB lookup using Borland Application Server. In short, I don't think this is an issue at the application level. I, and other developers, cannot get JNDI programs to work under Windows 2000, yet the same code will compile and run on Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95. The code I'm using is: package initialcontext; public class TestClient { public static void main(String[] args) { try { javax.naming.Context context = new javax.naming.InitialContext(); if(   More>>

I've experienced this problem now on several jobs, in several different situations - Using BEA Weblogic 6.0, using JBoss, trying to do JMS using iBus, and most recently, trying to do EJB lookup using Borland Application Server. In short, I don't think this is an issue at the application level.

I, and other developers, cannot get JNDI programs to work under Windows 2000, yet the same code will compile and run on Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95.

The code I'm using is:

package initialcontext;

public class TestClient
{

public static void main(String[] args)
{
try
{
javax.naming.Context context = new javax.naming.InitialContext();
if(context == null)System.out.println("context is null");
}
catch(Exception e)
{
e.printStackTrace(System.err);
}
}

}

On Windows 2000, this fails (consistently) with the following error:

javax.naming.CommunicationException: Can't find SerialContextProvider

at com.sun.enterprise.naming.SerialContext.getProvider(SerialContext.java:60)

at com.sun.enterprise.naming.SerialContext. (SerialContext.java:79)

at com.sun.enterprise.naming.SerialInitContextFactory.getInitialContext(SerialInitContextFactory.java:54)

at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:668)

at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:246)

at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(InitialContext.java:222)

at javax.naming.InitialContext. (InitialContext.java:178)

at initialcontext.TestClient.main(TestClient.java:20)

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what the problem might be ? Hope someone can help here, this is surely a problem that others must be running into.

<<Less

Re: JNDI Fails on Windows 2000

Posted By:   Steven_Webster  
Posted On:   Friday, May 11, 2001 06:23 AM

Thought I'd answer my own question ;)

It was a long shot, but downloaded a slightly newer version of the J2EE SDK, and picked up the 1.3 beta version from Sun's site....and it' cured the problem.

Don't know if this was a known bug or not (it doesn't explicitly indicate in the release notes that this fixes bugs like these), but a word of warning for folks to watch out for !

- Steven

About | Sitemap | Contact