custom URL from webapp
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Kyle_Downey
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 18, 2001 01:12 PM

I have developed several custom URL handlers. They work fine when the classes are in the system CLASSPATH, either from an app or by placing them in the servlet engine's CLASSPATH. However, if I package those same classes in a JAR and drop it in WEB-INF/lib, they're not found. I dug into the source for java.net.URL, and it looks to me that it tries to load Handler classes first with Class.forName(String) and second with the system classloader. My understanding is that this is redundant--since Class.forName() passes the _caller's_ ClassLoader to the underlying native forName0() method in Class.java, this again becomes the system classloader: after all,   More>>

I have developed several custom URL
handlers. They work fine when the
classes are in the system CLASSPATH,
either from an app or by placing them
in the servlet engine's CLASSPATH. However, if I package those same
classes in a JAR and drop it in
WEB-INF/lib, they're not found.

I dug into the source for java.net.URL,
and it looks to me that it tries to
load Handler classes first with
Class.forName(String) and second with the system classloader. My understanding
is that this is redundant--since
Class.forName() passes the _caller's_
ClassLoader to the underlying native forName0() method in Class.java, this again becomes the system classloader:
after all, the caller is java.lang.URL, which is always loaded from the system CLASSPATH.

The upshot: the system CLASSPATH is the only place ever checked.

Is this a JDK bug? a security feature? Is there any workaround, or do I have
to do (as I do now) a hack where I put my protocols in a separate JAR from the rest of my webapp and put that in the system CLASSPATH?

--kd

<<Less

Re: custom URL from webapp

Posted By:   AlessandroA_Garbagnati  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 18, 2001 01:51 PM

Hi,

What servlet container are you using? I have on my system (linux 2.2.16) both resin (1.2.5) and tomcat (3.2.1), behind apache (1.3.19) running different applications, and most of the code is application specific and it's located in the /WEB-INF/lib. The only problem I've had similar to that was a .zip instead of a .jar. For some reason the /WEB-INF/dir does not like zips.
About | Sitemap | Contact