Due to a problem with IE, datagram sockets only work when used from inside signed applets. Is there any client-transparent way around this.
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Saturday, April 14, 2001 11:20 AM

Hi, In theory datagram sockets should be fine when listening for packets from the server that hosted the applet - which is what I am trying to do. However, I have heard that there is an inherent bug in IE which means that the JVM doesn't correctly observe default security restrictions when creating datagram sockets ( look here ). The only real solution is to sign the applet. However I am trying to develop a transparent multiplayer framework. From what I have seen, signing is far from transparent - requiring the user to download and import a certificate by hand. Alternatively we could request the user to change their security settings - but again too elaborate and off putting for the casua   More>>

Hi,

In theory datagram sockets should be fine when listening for packets from the server that hosted the applet - which is what I am trying to do.

However, I have heard that there is an inherent bug in IE which means that the JVM doesn't correctly observe default security restrictions when creating datagram sockets ( look here ).

The only real solution is to sign the applet. However I am trying to develop a transparent multiplayer framework. From what I have seen, signing is far from transparent - requiring the user to download and import a certificate by hand. Alternatively we could request the user to change their security settings - but again too elaborate and off putting for the casual (target) user. As a last resort we could drop UDP and use TCP, although it's performance is of concern.

Since the target user base is IE dominanted I might as well use ActiveX if a user has to go through anything but the most minor startup routine.

Cheers,

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact