XML to store user-defined mathematical algorithms OR suggest an Alternative to XML. Beginner knowledge of SQL Server 2005 and VB.NET. B.S. in MIS
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   john_miller
Posted On:   Monday, June 30, 2008 01:59 PM

Brief overview - Parent table is the test header information. Each test will have 4,000 datasets. The dataset table consists of 4 columns each with 4,000 rows, each row will each link to the parent TEST header table. What I need to do is have a non-IT user be able to enter in an algorthm which will consist of multiple If statements holding various types of sin, cos, tangent, min, max, etc. calculations. These algorithms will barely change only when there is a breakthrough in the understanding of the calculations process. However my project leader has asked that I create a way of allowing the user to create the algorithm and store it in the SQL table. If I were allowed to just define them myself in Vb or T-SQL my life would be so much easier but they would    More>>

Brief overview - Parent table is the test header information. Each test will have 4,000 datasets. The dataset table consists of 4 columns each with 4,000 rows, each row will each link to the parent TEST header table.

What I need to do is have a non-IT user be able to enter in an algorthm which will consist of multiple If statements holding various types of sin, cos, tangent, min, max, etc. calculations. These algorithms will barely change only when there is a breakthrough in the understanding of the calculations process. However my project leader has asked that I create a way of allowing the user to create the algorithm and store it in the SQL table. If I were allowed to just define them myself in Vb or T-SQL my life would be so much easier but they would like it else way and my current knowledge, just graduated with a B.S in MIS, stumps me from thinking of the best alternative. These algorithms will be used to populate other tables from the dataset table and these populated tables need to be linked to the algorithms table so that people will know what algorithm was used if new algoritms are created in the future. Algorithms will never be deleted only new ones may be created, this will allow there to always be a record of old algorithms to understand how legacy data was calculated. I was told by another IT co-worker on the project, who has read about XML but does not KNOW it, that XML may be the solution. Possibly that the algorithms could be stored in XML in the SQL database and then when the user would like to run the algorithm it will ask what algorithm and what test dataset will be used then it will execute the algorithm with the given dataset and populate a new table.

I am using SQL server 2005(SQL Server Management Studio) and VB.NET(Visual Studio 2005 or 2008). If someone think this is an option let me know or if you can suggest a better alternative that would be grand as well. Thanks

<<Less

Re: XML to store user-defined mathematical algorithms OR suggest an Alternative to XML. Beginner knowledge of SQL Server 2005 and VB.NET. B.S. in MIS

Posted By:   Stephen_McConnell  
Posted On:   Monday, June 30, 2008 05:25 PM

Have you checked out MathML? Other than using something related to that, I don't know of any system other than maybe Mathematica (or something like it) that will do what you want.

Stephen McConnell

About | Sitemap | Contact