Async flow in activity diagrams
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   heikki_doeleman
Posted On:   Friday, October 5, 2007 05:53 AM

I'm looking for the best way to represent an asynchronous flow in an activity diagram. The flow is asynchronous but not necessarily _concurrent_ therefore I hesitate to use a Fork/Join element -- also the async flow is never joined back to the flow where it originated. So the flow is like: Start -> Step x -> Place message on queue, will be asynchronously handled at unknown later time -> continue with synchronous flow from Step x to Step y -> End The _goal_ of the process is achieved when both the synchronous flow and the flow handled asynchronously have finished; so maybe I could use a Join after all to express this. But it seems misleading to me as it suggests that it is a   More>>

I'm looking for the best way to represent an asynchronous flow in an activity diagram. The flow is asynchronous but not necessarily _concurrent_ therefore I hesitate to use a Fork/Join element -- also the async flow is never joined back to the flow where it originated.

So the flow is like:

Start -> Step x -> Place message on queue, will be asynchronously handled at unknown later time

-> continue with synchronous flow from Step x to Step y -> End

The _goal_ of the process is achieved when both the synchronous flow and the flow handled asynchronously have finished; so maybe I could use a Join after all to express this. But it seems misleading to me as it suggests that it is a synchronization point in the software, but that's not the case.

Any suggestions ?
thanks
Heikki Doeleman

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact