dcsimg
How to model a microkernel architecture ????
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Ariel_Romero
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:13 AM

Hi:
I would like to know how to model a microkernel architecture in UML. If somebody could help me in this topic or recommend me any article or paper about this architecture and how to model it I'd be grateful you.

I hope you can help me
Bye

Re: How to model a microkernel architecture ????

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Sunday, May 21, 2006 09:10 AM

The microkernel architecture was basically invented, or at least was first explored extensively, in the "ACCENT message-passing kernel" of the 1980's "SPICE" project at Carnegie-Mellon University, which later evolved into the "MACH" project.

So you might search for academic papers from CMU people (www.cmu.edu) re Accent, Spice, or Mach. The main professors on these projects, if I remember correctly, were Alfred Spector and Rick Rashid. Their early students included folks like Dean Daniels and Avie Tevanian.

Re: How to model a microkernel architecture ????

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:26 AM

A microkernel is merely a minimal form of computer operating system kernel that provides a basic set of primitives, or system calls, to implement basic operating system services such as address space management, thread management, and inter-process communication. All other services such as networking capability are then provided by additional applications that lie on top of the microkernel. I don't believe that there's a single pattern that would be used to model such a concept. Just as I don't believe there's a single way to implement it. In reality you could probably utilise any number of standard patterns (Command, decorator, Visitor etc.) should you decide to implement it in an OO way. Or did you merely mean which artefacts from UML should you use to model it?

Regards,
About | Sitemap | Contact