dcsimg
Programmatic manipulation of JMS topics
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Friday, March 24, 2006 11:45 AM

I'm pretty new to JMS. I understand the basic principles and how it is used but the documentation (JavaDoc and other sources) leads me to believe I cannot easily do what I'm mulling over. I'm working on a feature for a web application framework where we'd like to support clustering and we'd like to be able to communicate between the app instances on the various cluster nodes using JMS. To do this, I want to be able to create and destroy JMS topics programmatically rather than administratively. So the app on Node A creates a topic called "topic/games" and the app on Node B can join this topic. Each node is both a producer and a consumer. Since this is a framework, I need it to work portably across different app servers as   More>>

I'm pretty new to JMS. I understand the basic principles and how it is used but the documentation (JavaDoc and other sources) leads me to believe I cannot easily do what I'm mulling over.

I'm working on a feature for a web application framework where we'd like to support clustering and we'd like to be able to communicate between the app instances on the various cluster nodes using JMS. To do this, I want to be able to create and destroy JMS topics programmatically rather than administratively. So the app on Node A creates a topic called "topic/games" and the app on Node B can join this topic. Each node is both a producer and a consumer. Since this is a framework, I need it to work portably across different app servers as much as possible.

My research so far seems to indicate that Topics can NOT be created/destroyed programmatically. They must be created administratively and accessed (typically) via JNDI.

So my questions are:

1) Is administrative creation of topics an actual limitation?

2) Can I achieve my goals using TemporaryTopics in a clustered environment?

3) Is JMS a good candidate for what I'm trying to achieve or is there some other technology I should be considering?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Deryk    <<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact