dcsimg
trying to open a shell using Runtime.exec()
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Cecilia_B
Posted On:   Friday, July 29, 2005 06:24 PM

I am creating a service that opens a specialized shell and keeps track of that process by entering it into a hashtable. The initialization uses a checkForPrompt function that searches the InputStreams for a special character, ie '$' or ']'. However when I start the process on Linux, no prompt appears. (Ironically this works on Windows.) A snippet of my code: Process ps = null; InputStream in, err; exec = "bash"; try { ps = m_runtime.exec(exec); in = ps.getInputStream(); err = ps.getErrorStream(); while(!timeou   More>>

I am creating a service that opens a specialized shell and keeps track of that process by entering it into a hashtable. The initialization uses a checkForPrompt function that searches the InputStreams for a special character, ie '$' or ']'. However when I start the process on Linux, no prompt appears. (Ironically this works on Windows.) A snippet of my code:

Process ps = null;

InputStream in, err;

exec = "bash";

try

{

ps = m_runtime.exec(exec);

in = ps.getInputStream();

err = ps.getErrorStream();

while(!timeout){

tmpIn = readFromStream( in, "in" );

if(checkForPrompt(tmpIn))

return true;

}

else

timeout++;

}

Will the process ever return a prompt? Is there a better way to do this or check to see if the shell has been entered?

Thanks!
Cecilia

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact