dcsimg
Determining the image format of an image opened with JAI.create.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mark_Wheadon
Posted On:   Friday, June 17, 2005 11:05 AM

Hello, My program needs to open a given image file and determine the image format (e.g. JPG, TIF, BMP etc.). The files may not have extensions. I know that: String image_file_name = "e:\temp\images\000174E3"; RenderedOp rop = JAI.create("fileload", image_file_name); will read a supported type, but I would like to know which type it is. My reason for doing this is that I need to know the DPI of the image in order to show it at a percentage of the original scale as the images will mostly be scanned documents. If I use: String op_name = rop.getOperationName(); I just get "fileload" - not very helpful. I have looked th   More>>

Hello,

My program needs to open a given image file and determine the image format (e.g. JPG, TIF, BMP etc.). The files may not have extensions. I know that:

String image_file_name = "e:\temp\images\000174E3";
RenderedOp rop = JAI.create("fileload", image_file_name);

will read a supported type, but I would like to know which type it is.

My reason for doing this is that I need to know the DPI of the image in order to show it at a percentage of the original scale as the images will mostly be scanned documents.

If I use:

String op_name = rop.getOperationName();

I just get "fileload" - not very helpful. I have looked through the variables in the (Eclipse) debugger and the documentation and searched the net (for days), but cannot see anything which tells me what the image format is.

I do know that if I do:

String[] names = rop.getPropertyNames();

on a TIFF image one of the properties will be tiff_directory which is quite helpful.

The JAI.create method seems to take a couple of seconds. As I am using this with a servlet app, if it is a JPEG image and doesn't need rotating or scaling, then I would rather not do JAI.create at all, but just open it with a SeekableStream and find the image format first, then decide what to do. Seems a pretty basic requirement to me.

Any comments or help much appreciated.

Regards, MarkW.

<<Less

Re: Determining the image format of an image opened with JAI.create.

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Saturday, June 18, 2005 10:52 AM

perhaps read the "magic number" bytes at the start of the file, and look them up in a table you make. There are web sites and books listing these for various file formats.
About | Sitemap | Contact