dcsimg
Does starting an application with the "nohup" option hog memory?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   neal_ravindran
Posted On:   Friday, March 4, 2005 07:12 AM

This question is related to this question I use Orion server 2.0 In dev/test env my java process began to get killed out of the blue. So I started using "nohup java-jar orion.jar" instead of just "java-jar orion.jar" That solved the problem of process dying all of a sudden. But before in dev/test env my app never ran out of memory (even after 6 months of heavy usage). Now my app barely lasts for 3 days with the same amount of usage of app. This happened after I started using nohup. So catch-22 situation for me. If I use nohup, my app lasts for 3 days at the most (which looks bad) If I do not, then my process dies within hours (because of som   More>>

This question is related to
this question

I use Orion server 2.0

In dev/test env my java process began to get killed out of the blue. So I started using "nohup java-jar orion.jar" instead of just "java-jar orion.jar"

That solved the problem of process dying all of a sudden.

But before in dev/test env my app never ran out of memory (even after 6 months of heavy usage). Now my app barely lasts for 3 days with the same amount of usage of app. This happened after I started using nohup.

So catch-22 situation for me. If I use nohup, my app lasts for 3 days at the most (which looks bad) If I do not, then my process dies within hours (because of some hangup signal sent to system or me logging out)

Does "nohup" have a bad rap in terms of memory usage?

<<Less

Re: Does starting an application with the "nohup" option hog memory?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Friday, March 4, 2005 05:58 PM

I don't think that "nohup" does anything to change the memory usage of a process. I think the main difference is that the process is not attached to a controlling tty? which is pretty obscure for most things besides terminal I/O?

Anything beyond that would be a problem in the application, or the application server itself perhaps?

Here's an idea -- maybe the server is trying to do some logging to the console, and this is backlogged in bigger and bigger buffers? maybe there are some logging options to change, on the orion server itself?
About | Sitemap | Contact