dcsimg
3 minutes to execute one RMI call!
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Eric_Lindauer
Posted On:   Monday, January 24, 2005 03:40 PM

I'm just about to release my application, a networked chess site called www.achess.com. The application uses EJB method calls for client --> server communication, and RMI method calls for server --> client communication. I've been writing and testing this application on a local server for weeks, and everything performs smoothly. Now that I've deployed the application remotely (on Linux 2.4.20-8) I find that a single RMI call, which does nothing on the server, takes around 3 minutes to complete! I notice this also when I make EJB calls that include an RMI exported object, such as myRemoteObject.register (new MyExportedRMIObject ()); It's not network lag, as EJB calls not involving an RMI object complete normally. It   More>>

I'm just about to release my application, a networked chess site called www.achess.com. The application uses EJB method calls for client --> server communication, and RMI method calls for server --> client communication.

I've been writing and testing this application on a local server for weeks, and everything performs smoothly. Now that I've deployed the application remotely (on Linux 2.4.20-8) I find that a single RMI call, which does nothing on the server, takes around 3 minutes to complete! I notice this also when I make EJB calls that include an RMI exported object, such as myRemoteObject.register (new MyExportedRMIObject ());

It's not network lag, as EJB calls not involving an RMI object complete normally. It's not that the method call is doing three minutes worth of work on the server... there seems to be something more fundamental going on here.

I understand that this is a very vague description. If you have any suggestions for even how I might begin to debug this problem, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Eric Lindauer

<<Less

Re: 3 minutes to execute one RMI call!

Posted By:   Eric_Hubbard  
Posted On:   Monday, April 11, 2005 01:47 PM

You posted this Jan 24th. So I'm probably to late, but grab a thread dump during the 3 minutes and see what method it is stuck on. Use control break at the console.

Re: 3 minutes to execute one RMI call!

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 25, 2005 05:20 AM

DNS maybe? Is it maybe trying to resolve a hostname, getting no response from the DNS server, timing out, etc.?
About | Sitemap | Contact