dcsimg
Having a boost factor of less than 1.
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Friday, October 29, 2004 07:38 AM

Hi, Can I have a boost factor of less than one for a query clause ? I was trying to add PrefixQueries in additonal to the exact terms entered by the user so that he will additional results which might be closely related to the given search. However I want to have the exact macthes ranked higher than the matches with PrefixQueries. There seems to be one problem with my approach. Assume that I have two words to be searched and I add prefix queries for both. If one of the words in the search ends up being the prefix of more number of words, it might end up giving a document a higher rank. In the normal case (without adding a prefixQuery for each term), I think a word which is less frequent among a document set car   More>>

Hi,

Can I have a boost factor of less than one for a query clause ?

I was trying to add PrefixQueries in additonal to the exact terms entered by the user so that he will additional results which might be closely related to the given search. However I want to have the exact macthes ranked higher than the matches with PrefixQueries.

There seems to be one problem with my approach. Assume that I have two words to be searched and I add prefix queries for both. If one of the words in the search ends up being the prefix of more number of words, it might end up giving a document a higher rank. In the normal case (without adding a prefixQuery for each term), I think a word which is less frequent among a document set carries a higher weightage on a hit than a more frequent term.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this..

Thanks,
Praveen.

The problem with prefixQueries seems to be

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact