How to Kill a Thread
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   eric_chang
Posted On:   Friday, October 29, 2004 03:17 AM

Dear Sir, I understand I need to use interrupt to kill the Thread but I can't apply in my program. The program is like this : public void run() { // There are a thousand lines of codes in the following without looping System.out.println("This is statement l"); System.out.println("This is statement 2"); System.out.println("This is statement 3"); ... ... } If interrupt() need to be used, the while loop must be used to check the value as below; public void run() { while (!interrupted()) { System.out.println("This is statement l"); Syst   More>>

Dear Sir,

I understand I need to use interrupt to kill the Thread but I can't apply in my program.

The program is like this :

public void run() {

// There are a thousand lines of codes in the following without looping

System.out.println("This is statement l");

System.out.println("This is statement 2");

System.out.println("This is statement 3");

}

If interrupt() need to be used, the while loop must be used to check the value as below;

public void run() {

while (!interrupted()) {

System.out.println("This is statement l");

System.out.println("This is statement 2");

System.out.println("This is statement 3");

}

}

Finally, the program logic is changed and the result is different. I would like to stop the thread at any time.

Furthermore there are a thousands of the different report(one thread per one report) exists in our system. How can I overcome the problem if stop method cannot be used.

For the reports, there are no lock mechansim and it is only a read process, if I insist to use the 'stop', is it any other side effect other than the lock or memory
resource

Please help !!!

Thanks & Regards,

Eric    <<Less

Re: How to Kill a Thread

Posted By:   Edward_Harned  
Posted On:   Friday, October 29, 2004 07:33 AM

Read the API documentation on how to stop a thread. Its under the thread.stop() method. Don't use interrupt.

Test a private variable for the stop condition and when true, get out of the loop.

while (!posted) {

// do your work here

// When the variable is set true

if  (posted) {

// get out of loop

break;

}

// do more work here

}

About | Sitemap | Contact