dcsimg
Charter School Network
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Sarah_Jozefiak
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 15, 2004 07:37 AM

My company is building a wireless network for a new charter school in the area. There will be approximately 150 online users within the school. We are trying to figure out which type of access points would be the best to put within the school. Any suggestions?

Re: Charter School Network

Posted By:   Sean_Owen  
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 15, 2004 09:17 AM

This site is Java-specific, so you may not get a good answer here. I seem to remember an article about this on Slashdot recently. Maybe post on a site devoted to wireless technology?

Re: Charter School Network

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 15, 2004 08:30 AM

The answer to your question depends on a number of factors.

1. The number of users likely to be using the network at any one time

2. The physical distances between the users (wireless signals degrade over distance and are blocked by concrete / metal etc.)

3. Bandwidth likely to be needed for each user

4. Type of hardware used for your computers (Macs, PCs etc)

5. Will they be sharing internet connections

6. Will you be mixing / matching wired and wireless networks

5. Your budget

You will probably need to divide your network into a number of sub-networks and so you will need wireless routers / bridges. Your requirement is non-trivial and so before buying any kit I would phone up a number of suppliers and tell them your requirements (a decent requirements spec. is a must) and ask them what they recommend. Alternatively, if you can afford it you might be best getting in a professional networking company to plan and install an optimal solution.

PS this forum is really intended for Java oriented networking questions.

Regards.
About | Sitemap | Contact