Interconnecting hubs/switches
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   dave_barnes
Posted On:   Monday, May 3, 2004 01:53 PM

Hey people,
I'm hosting a LAN for about 40 people, only catch is, 1 cable modem can only handle about 8 users, so there will be multiple modems. Each modem will be attached to a 1 port router (in order to beat the ISP IP limitations) and then hooked into a hub or switch (depending on who brings what) My question is whether it is possible to inter-connect the hubs so that they will be receiving their internet from their own modem but all be connected as a big LAN also.
I heard mention that i would need to set up domains, but dont know how to do that, and i'm not sure if that is true anyways....

~Dave

Re: Interconnecting hubs/switches

Posted By:   Rais_Ahmad  
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 5, 2004 07:54 PM

How is it possible to limit Internet connection using a cable modem? Modem are non IP-aware DCEs. Number of simultaneous connections should solely depend on your router capabilities. Any decent router should easily support at least 100+ connections simultaneously.

In case you do need to have 8 users per modem/internet connection you will be required to assign unique internal addresses to each internet router and users and have users' default-gateway set to that particular router. You can get a big LAN by uplinking all the hubs together. In short, it is possible, but I dont get the reason for doing it this way.

Good Luck!!

The Network Department

About | Sitemap | Contact