Why should anybody use high-priced EJB servers when the same can be achieved with Tomcat,struts and Hibernate?
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   neal_ravindran
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 7, 2004 11:29 AM

Why should anybody use high-priced EJB servers when the same can be achieved with Tomcat,struts and Hibernate?

CMP is very complicated, to say the least.
[[The same, IMHO, could be achieved with stateless session beans(SLSB) and and DAOs and scales pretty good(not to mention easiness in clustering SLSBs since there is no state info stored in SLSBs)]]. I get the feeling nowadays that CMP will get relegated to "second division" soon with the strong presence of Hibernate.

Anything good to say about CMPs when compared to what Hibernate could do?

Re: Why should anybody use high-priced EJB servers when the same can be achieved with Tomcat,struts and Hibernate?

Posted By:   Amir_Pashazadeh  
Posted On:   Sunday, April 11, 2004 01:10 PM

Hi

1. There are some free EJB Containers including href="http://www.jboss.org/">JBoss and Geronimo (which is under construction now).

2. If you implement DAO yourself, there is a high risk of problems in concurrent users accessing the same data. But using CMP EJBs this problem is solved by EJB Container vendors.

3. EJB Containers provide other services such as security and transaction support transparenty. These features are not achived by using Tomcat, Struts and Hibernate.

4. Why did you mentioned Struts here?! Struts can be used within any Web Container (including Weblogic, WebSphere and ...)

I myself believe that there future of Java persistence will be JDO! and there will be a Hibernate-JDO adaptor in future. But I agree that EJB CMP is not a good product.

Amir Pashazadeh

In java world, free software are really better.

Posted By:   Rui_Hu  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 7, 2004 01:44 PM

But, in database world, Oracle still better than Mysql.

And, in OS world, Windows are better than Linux

On the same hardware Windows out perform Linux, and if you use Java and Database, OS really does not matter, Linux need too much work to install and patch, Linux kernel has lots of bugs then can not run Oracle, Mysql reliably

Linux simply has too many versions ...

I like Oracle J developer very much, it has great object relational mapping tools.

There is no good reason. Free things are better.

Posted By:   Rui_Hu  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 7, 2004 01:39 PM

Tomcat and Jboss support newest J2ee spec, while Weblogic, Webspere are one version old.

I do not see any point to use Weblogic or Webspere's extension

Is J2ee not enough for you ???

CMP EJB makes no sense, unless you have tools like Oracle Toplink to generate Bean with Value object code for you and you just use

Performance wise, CMP EJB is ok.

Weblogic, Webspere still sells since big company are afraid of open source, the purchase decision are made by layers and manager who do not know much about techology.

Re: Why should anybody use high-priced EJB servers when the same can be achieved with Tomcat,struts and Hibernate?

Posted By:   Serge_Knystautas  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 7, 2004 11:58 AM

CMP is easier to sell to technophobic bosses, or generally in a situation where you want known solutions instead of the better up-and-coming solutions. Finding people who know CMP might be easier too.

I agree from a technical standpoint that Hibernate will replace CMP.
About | Sitemap | Contact