Lexical nondeterminism and help with grammar
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Lance_Walton
Posted On:   Monday, March 1, 2004 01:29 AM

Hi. I'm having trouble defining a grammar. What I want is to be able to parse Java type names that may also have wildcards ('*' and '..' both mean any characters but in different ways - the code around the parser will take care of the interpretation). So for example, I want to be able to parse: MyClass com.foo.MyClass com..MyClass com.foo.My* com..*Class ..MyClass etc My lexer and parser are: class MyParser extends Parser; options { k = 2; exportVocab=myVocab; defaultErrorHandler = false;    More>>

Hi.

I'm having trouble defining a grammar. What I want is to be able to parse Java type names that may also have wildcards ('*' and '..' both mean any characters but in different ways - the code around the parser will take care of the interpretation).

So for example, I want to be able to parse:

• MyClass
  • com.foo.MyClass
  • com..MyClass
  • com.foo.My*
  • com..*Class
  • ..MyClass
  • etc

My lexer and parser are:

class MyParser extends Parser;
options {
k = 2;
exportVocab=myVocab;
defaultErrorHandler = false;
buildAST = true;
}

typeExpression
:
TypePattern
EOF!
;

class MyLexerLexer extends Lexer;
options {
exportVocab=spooky;
k=4;
charVocabulary='u0003'..'uFFFF';
defaultErrorHandler=false;
}

WS:
( ' '
| ' '
| 'f'
// handle newlines
| ( options {generateAmbigWarnings=false;}
: "
" // Evil DOS
| '
' // Macintosh
| '
' // Unix (the right way)
)
{ newline(); }
)+
{ _ttype = Token.SKIP; }
;

TypePattern:
(TypeQualifierSegmentPattern)*
TYPE_NAME_INITIAL_CHARACTERS (TYPE_NAME_SUBSEQUENT_CHARACTERS)*
;

protected TypeQualifierSegmentPattern:
(
'.'
| TYPE_NAME_INITIAL_CHARACTERS (TYPE_NAME_SUBSEQUENT_CHARACTERS)*
) '.'
;

protected TYPE_NAME_INITIAL_CHARACTERS:
'a'..'z' | 'A'..'Z' | '_' | '$' | '*'
;

protected TYPE_NAME_SUBSEQUENT_CHARACTERS:
TYPE_NAME_INITIAL_CHARACTERS | '0'..'9'
;

This gives me a nondeterminism warning:

[antlr] ANTLR Parser Generator Version 2.7.2 1989-2003 jGuru.com
[antlr] /Users/lance/Documents/workspace/Test/src/MyParser.g:39: warning:lexical nondeterminism upon
[antlr] /Users/lance/Documents/workspace/Test/src/MyParser.g:39: k==1:'$','*','A'..'Z','_','a'..'z'
[antlr] /Users/lance/Documents/workspace/Test/src/MyParser.g:39: k==2:'$','*','0'..'9','A'..'Z','_','a'..'z'
[antlr] /Users/lance/Documents/workspace/Test/src/MyParser.g:39: k==3:'$','*','0'..'9','A'..'Z','_','a'..'z'
[antlr] /Users/lance/Documents/workspace/Test/src/MyParser.g:39: k==4: ,'$','*','0'..'9','A'..'Z','_','a'..'z'
[antlr] /Users/lance/Documents/workspace/Test/src/MyParser.g:39: between alt 1 and exit branch of block

Can anyone help me to disambiguate this - simply suppressing the warnings doesn't help - when I try to parse 'Bob' I get "Expecting '.' found 'EOF'" errors.

Regards

Lance

<<Less

Re: Lexical nondeterminism and help with grammar

Posted By:   Lance_Walton  
Posted On:   Monday, March 1, 2004 04:02 AM

Doh! It's OK... I copied the relevant stuff in the provided Java grammar and added the appropriate bits. Works fine now.

Regards

Lance

About | Sitemap | Contact