dcsimg
Can JMS be used to substitute for socket-based exchanges between heterogenous systems?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   neal_ravindran
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 6, 2004 06:08 AM

I have a spec here which talks about sending a string query to another system. The string is entered in a html form and then a servlet opens a socket connection to the consumer system written in C++. The system then processes the info and sends a response. When the system will finish the processing and send the data back is an unknown. I am caught between developing a pure sockets system versus using JMS. But the catch, I guess is that the other sys being in C++, cannot talk that easily to the JMS system. But again the user can't be kept waiting for the response a)What is a good arch for doing this? b) Any good literature (online preferably) on developing web based asynchronous socket apps?    More>>

I have a spec here which talks about sending a string query to another system. The string is entered in a html form and then a servlet opens a socket connection to the consumer system written in C++. The system then processes the info and sends a response. When the system will finish the processing and send the data back is an unknown. I am caught between developing a pure sockets system versus using JMS. But the catch, I guess is that the other sys being in C++, cannot talk that easily to the JMS system. But again the user can't be kept waiting for the response

a)What is a good arch for doing this?

b) Any good literature (online preferably) on developing web based asynchronous socket apps?

<<Less

Re: Can JMS be used to substitute for socket-based exchanges between heterogenous systems?

Posted By:   Thomas_Rischbeck  
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 14, 2004 08:39 AM

Neal,

many JMS providers also offer a C++ client library to interact with their JMS server.

In your case, the servlet could publish JMS messages (request for processing of form information) onto a queue (using default Java-JMS binding). Messages on this queue would then be consumed by the C++ back-end system, using the C++/JMS binding. The advantage of using JMS compared to sockets is that you get asynchrony and higher reliability (+transactions if requried). Disadvantage is additional architectural complexity and lower performance.

Hope this helps!

Thomas www.arjuna.com

Re: Can JMS be used to substitute for socket-based exchanges between heterogenous systems?

Posted By:   kenny_roytman  
Posted On:   Thursday, January 8, 2004 08:46 AM

Have you looked into using web services for this?
About | Sitemap | Contact