dcsimg
Any favourable JMS server experiences?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Zac_Jacobson
Posted On:   Thursday, September 11, 2003 03:54 PM

Hi everybody! I'm currently looking into JMS servers for a system we're building, and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. Does anyone have any positive experiences with any particular JMS system? I've been using Sun ONE Message Queue for my proof-of-concept stuff, and it seems to work okay, though it's a bit restrictive on it's operating platforms (there's some JNI stuff for password input), and it has JNDI connectors for a local file, or LDAP, but not any sort of clusterable JNDI server that I would have hoped it would have included. I'm looking for something clusterable, with JNDI support as I say, but I don't need any other J2EE functionality - I wouldn't say no to a servlet container though! Thanks for your input, Zac    More>>

Hi everybody!

I'm currently looking into JMS servers for a system we're building, and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. Does anyone have any positive experiences with any particular JMS system?

I've been using Sun ONE Message Queue for my proof-of-concept stuff, and it seems to work okay, though it's a bit restrictive on it's operating platforms (there's some JNI stuff for password input), and it has JNDI connectors for a local file, or LDAP, but not any sort of clusterable JNDI server that I would have hoped it would have included.

I'm looking for something clusterable, with JNDI support as I say, but I don't need any other J2EE functionality - I wouldn't say no to a servlet container though!

Thanks for your input,
Zac

<<Less

Re: Any favourable JMS server experiences?

Posted By:   Andreas_Mueller  
Posted On:   Saturday, September 13, 2003 07:51 AM

Check out SwiftMQ.

It's fast, smart and reliable and based on federated networks. It has a built-in JNDI, of course. The price is very low, $990 per server.

Re: Any favourable JMS server experiences?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Friday, September 12, 2003 06:27 AM

JBoss seems to work OK (we have a very light load so far though), and it's free...

One big problem with JBoss we have (but if you don't need port 80 then it won't be an issue for you) is that in order to listen to port 80 on Unix/Solaris/Linux, it has to run as root, and it's not written to setuid to a nonprivileged user, after opening the privileged ports. Other servers do this no problem (Tomcat, Weblogic, Websphere, even Sendmail etc., all will start as root, open privileged ports, then setuid to a nonprivileged user for all other operations ...). Perhaps someone has done the mods, JBoss is open source, but we just don't have the time to work on, test, support etc. a modified version like that...

About | Sitemap | Contact