HELP - please, its kinda urgent
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Sophie_Turner
Posted On:   Sunday, May 18, 2003 04:12 AM

I'm doing a java piece of coursework and i don't really have a clue where to start and was wondering if anyone would be able to help. This is what i have to do: You are asked to write a program to read in full English prose and translate it into short text form. For example your program might read sentence “hello jasmine, I will see you tonight, are you ok?” and output the short text form of “lo jsmn, Il cu 2nite, r u ok?” The program will therefore have to do the following: 1.Read in a text message (via a console window) 2.Convert common words into their short text abbreviation (eg you=u) 3.translate words into their shortest meaningful form (eg jasmine=jsmn)    More>>

I'm doing a java piece of coursework and i don't really have a clue where to start and was wondering if anyone would be able to help. This is what i have to do:

You are asked to write a program to read in full English prose and translate it into short text form. For example your program might read sentence “hello jasmine, I will see you tonight, are you ok?” and output the short text form of “lo jsmn, Il cu 2nite, r u ok?” The program will therefore have to do the following:

1.Read in a text message (via a console window)

2.Convert common words into their short text abbreviation (eg you=u)

3.translate words into their shortest meaningful form (eg jasmine=jsmn)

4.If you can, extend your program to handle phrases (eg by the way = btw)

5.Handle punctuation like full stops, commas and smiles

6.Print the translated message back to the screen (via drawing window)

When defining the requirements for your program, you will have to identify strategies for turning words (or phrases) into their shortest meaningful abbreviations. These may include removing repeated letters, removing certain vowels or consonants, using phonetic abbreviations (eg to=2 and be=b) and looking up common abbreviations (hello=lo). Whatever combination of these strategies you employ, you must define and conduct a series of tests to prove that your program meets your requirements and the problem specification.

Any help would be so unbelievably appreciated s x    <<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact