encrypting contents of a properties file
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 16, 2003 02:19 PM

I have a need to put the connection string to an oracle database in a properties object/file. This is required for a backend application where this application connects to an oracle database for any number of users. In order to hide the password (which is static for any number of users), I need to encrypt it. The backend application will load the properties file and get the encrypted password, decrypt it and use it to login to the database. There could be another front end application to store the encrypted passowrd in the properties file. Can someone suggest a viable method to do that -?

Thanks

Re: encrypting contents of a properties file

Posted By:   Shawn_Alexander  
Posted On:   Tuesday, May 6, 2003 05:46 AM

Tejendra,

It depends on the robustness that you will need for encryption/decryption. If your system is behind a firewall and you wish to encrypt the password just so fellow developers do not know it, try something very basic like word/letter substitution or a cipher key. It will not be a difficult encryption to break, but should remove the 'browser' company based hacker.

However, if you would like a more robust encryption, look at the java cryptography extension. You can use ciphers, RSA type encryption, ect.

If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Shawn
About | Sitemap | Contact