Directory Structure for building multiple webapps for one project
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Nathan_Ward
Posted On:   Monday, April 14, 2003 09:34 AM

How should I organize my project directory structure in order to build two web applications for one project? I'm developing a "Recruiting Management System" to help recruiters manage the recruiting process. A web application that uses JSPs, Servlets, Struts, Hibernate, etc. will be deployed on the Intranet so that we don't have to deal with secure connections on the Internet. There will also be a separate webapp that is accessable over the Internet that allows people to browse job openings and submit their resume. From a configuration management point of view, I'd like both of these webapps to be part of the same baseline. I'm considering things like c:projects msinternal and c:projects msexternal where c:projects    More>>

How should I organize my project directory structure in order to build two web applications for one project? I'm developing a "Recruiting Management System" to help recruiters manage the recruiting process. A web application that uses JSPs, Servlets, Struts, Hibernate, etc. will be deployed on the Intranet so that we don't have to deal with secure connections on the Internet. There will also be a separate webapp that is accessable over the Internet that allows people to browse job openings and submit their resume.

From a configuration management point of view, I'd like both of these webapps to be part of the same baseline. I'm considering things like c:projects
msinternal and c:projects
msexternal where c:projects
ms is my working directory from the point of view of my version control system. Under both the internal and external directories, there will be a src directory and maybe a jsp directory and a web-inf directory. Each webapp will need their own struts-config.xml, web.xml, validation.xml, and even a different style sheet (.css) file among other things. However, there are some .java source files that they do share.

Any suggestions or references to liturature would be appreciated.

<<Less

Re: Directory Structure for building multiple webapps for one project

Posted By:   Erik_Hatcher  
Posted On:   Monday, April 14, 2003 12:29 PM

You're on the right track. We do this very thing on a project I'm working on with a "user" webapp and an "admin" webapp that share a lot of common code. We split the src, web, and other directory trees into common, user, and admin subdirectories and fold it all together with a single build into an EAR file with both webapps embedded.
About | Sitemap | Contact