Retrieving messages (minimum requirements)
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anthony_Baker
Posted On:   Thursday, February 20, 2003 11:47 AM

I have a "friend" that wants me to connect to thier JMS server and read messages and reply to messages. I don't know what JMS server he has but the question is do I have to know? Do I need to have a special driver on my machine based on his server in order to retrieve messages? Does the JMS api handle all of this for me? I guess in the end I want to know what is the minimum I have to know and do to read messages from someone elses JMS server (that is to be a client).

Thanks, Ant

Re: Retrieving messages (minimum requirements)

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Saturday, February 22, 2003 03:39 AM

Like many more J2EE technologies, JMS is an API thats abstracts message based communication. It offers an asynchronous as well as a synchronous model. As with JDBC (or ODBC if that sounds more familiar), you need a client library that implementents the JMS API and takes care of the details of the communication with the server you are interested in. The JMS only refers to how to use the various objects, and does not provide any factories to instantiate them. This is the role of JNDI. This garanties that vendors can make all the design decisions they need, whike making sure your client code is portable (some areas of the spec still prevent total portability among servers). The client library implementing the JMS API is usually included with the JMS server in the vendor distribution.

cheers

Re: Retrieving messages (minimum requirements)

Posted By:   rajeev_kumar  
Posted On:   Friday, February 21, 2003 06:56 AM

As you needs to connect to the JMS Sever you need to know how to connect to JMS Server, as you need to read and send the messages as well as other person needs to send and read message this would invovle multiple topics for this application.
About | Sitemap | Contact