Component Diagramming
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Suresh_Addagalla
Posted On:   Monday, December 9, 2002 09:54 PM

Hi,

I need to draw a component diagram for a web-based system. In a nutshell, I have a web browser getting dynamic web pages from Apache/Tomcat. My servlets interact with DB API. What I am developing are -- HTML pages which work on the browser, static HTML pages that reside on the web server, JSP/Servlets running in the web container, DB API library. In my case, what are the components? Do the browser, web server and servlet container become the components or the HTML pages and servlets/JSP become the components?

Thanks,

Suresh

Re: Component Diagramming

Posted By:   Deepak_Kenchamba  
Posted On:   Monday, December 9, 2002 11:33 PM

Hei Suresh Addagalla, (IdduAgatte)

The main constituents of a Component Diagram are 'components', which by definition are, "physical units of implementation with well-defined interfaces that is intended to be used as replaceable parts of a system". This said,
1. Static html pages (Web component)
2. Jsp/Servlet components
3. DAO objects(DB API)
all become your components. And in your component diagrams you depict them as components with proper dependencies (dotten lines with open arrow heads, with actual direction of navigation), realization & stereotypes.

Your browser, Servlet container, Web server, DB server are actually NODES, which are depicted in other physical view diagram namely "DEPLOYMENT DIAGRAM". Here each of your nodes is depicted as a Cube with necessary communication links & dependencies.

Yes, you can interpose (club) these two to specify the scope of your components, for example,
STATIC PAGE components in WEB SERVER node
SERVLET/JSP components in TOMCAT node

Hope it was helpful, god bless !!
About | Sitemap | Contact