Tomcat in Production?
5 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   michael_key
Posted On:   Friday, November 1, 2002 06:31 AM

My question is that is there anyone using tomcat in a productions environment? Everytime I bring it up, I have people coming out of the woodworks saying that its not a production quality software, that it runs too slow , its an reference impl., etc.

Is there any defense for using tomcat on production? Or is it simply a good development tool?

Re: Tomcat in Production?

Posted By:   tim_fox  
Posted On:   Saturday, November 2, 2002 09:00 AM

Computer Associates was using Tomcat to support their Jasmineii portal product.

Posted By:   Aaron_Nance  
Posted On:   Friday, November 1, 2002 12:17 PM

We use Tomcat in production. We are using Tomcat with IIS on Win2K servers. We are currently in the process of moving from ColdFusion to Tomcat and we haven't had any problems so far. We get between 250K and 350K page views a month on our main site. Tomcat is probably handling about 15% to 20% of that traffic at the moment.

If you're looking for a good reason to use Tomcat, look at the price. I work at a college and our budget is very limited by budget cuts and we wouldn't be able to afford many of the commercial JSP/Servlet containers. I'm lucky we are going to be able to afford a couple replacement servers this year. :-)

Posted By:   David_Liu  
Posted On:   Friday, November 1, 2002 07:25 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that the word "production" is very ambiguous. Do you mean production internet apps, or production intranet apps. These two can mean a world of difference in loads on your webserver.

You should find out the expected load on your webserver for your application. Maybe tomcat by itself is good enough, maybe you need to combine tomcat with apache, or maybe go with something even more powerful.

Posted By:   Steven_Martin  
Posted On:   Friday, November 1, 2002 07:06 AM

Tomcat is meant as a JSP/Servlet engine. For business processing I would look at JBoss. Also, Sun may release their application server for free soon.

Posted By:   Steven_Zacharias  
Posted On:   Friday, November 1, 2002 06:41 AM

I'm contracting at a company using Tomcat 4.0.x in production on Solaris boxes (connected to Apache). Things are stable enough (if a bit slow), but then again we're not a high-volume site by any means (max of 100 people hitting the site every day, probably about 10k page views per day).

If you're interested in high-availability and redundancy, Tomcat is a bit sub-optimal (IMHO) (e.g. bouncing Tomcat & Apache takes a bit of time (~30 seconds)).

About | Sitemap | Contact