dcsimg
newbie trying to modify a javabean
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Jon_Shade
Posted On:   Friday, October 25, 2002 08:38 AM

Hi, My web site recently switched from ASP to JSP and I am in the processing of learning the latter. One of the checkout pages of the site is Billing Information. When the programmers originally set up the page, they didn't include all the United States Holdings in the State pull-down menu (i.e. Guam, US Virgin Islands, etc.) In looking through the code, I see that they used a javabean for the State pull-down. I was hoping I could just go in and add the listings to the menu, but it seems like it's a little harder than that!! My question is, since I don't really know beans from gumballs, can I modify the bean with my updated information? Assuming I can find it. Also, what development tools should I be using to do this? Would a plain-ol   More>>

Hi,

My web site recently switched from ASP to JSP and I am in the processing of learning the latter. One of the checkout pages of the site is Billing Information. When the programmers originally set up the page, they didn't include all the United States Holdings in the State pull-down menu (i.e. Guam, US Virgin Islands, etc.) In looking through the code, I see that they used a javabean for the State pull-down. I was hoping I could just go in and add the listings to the menu, but it seems like it's a little harder than that!!

My question is, since I don't really know beans from gumballs, can I modify the bean with my updated information? Assuming I can find it. Also, what development tools should I be using to do this? Would a plain-old text edit program work? or will I have to mess with the class file using some sophisticated app.?

Thanks in advance for your help (and patience!!)

<<Less

Re: newbie trying to modify a javabean

Posted By:   Lasse_Koskela  
Posted On:   Friday, October 25, 2002 08:54 AM

Your Windows Notepad is just fine if you're not planning to spend too many hours coding... For anything remotely continuous programming work I'd suggest a text editor which implements syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, etc. luxuries.

About the actual modification of the JavaBean class... If you've got the source code, just modify it and recompile. If you've only got the compiled .class file, you need to decompile, modify and recompile. There are a couple of open-source Java decompilers available at sourceforge.net.

Adding a couple of entries (the return value logic of some method) shouldn't be too difficult even if you've never used Java.

About | Sitemap | Contact