Alternatives to Microsoft XMLHTTP in JavaScript. Posting of XML to Servlet from web page.
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Tim_Gaul
Posted On:   Tuesday, October 22, 2002 12:48 AM

I am attempting to find an alternative to using the Microsoft ActiveXObject to submit XML toa Java Servlet.

var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");

Using the xmlhttp object means becoming to reliant on Microsoft. I have been attempting to find an XML RPC solution; however, this need not be the only solution.

What other alternatives exist for the posting of XML to a Servlet and the gaining of a return response?

Re: Alternatives to Microsoft XMLHTTP in JavaScript. Posting of XML to Servlet from web page.

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Sunday, October 27, 2002 09:56 PM

The other alternatives i see are a Java applet (not much better than an ActiveX control, although more universal), or using Netscape's liveconnect to do it from Java (but you are back to square one and locked on one platform).

I'd write a very small java applet who's job would only be to establish the TCP connection with the servlet to exchange the XML information. This solution has the merit to work on all platforms where the Java plug-in runs... which is more than where the Microsoft.XMLHTTP control works...

cheers
laurent

Re: Alternatives to Microsoft XMLHTTP in JavaScript. Posting of XML to Servlet from web page.

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Sunday, October 27, 2002 09:51 PM

hmmm.... indeed, SOAP is not a real answer to your problem. The reason is that SOAP is not a wire protocol, and for the most part, you still have to open an HTTP connection to talk to a SOAP server.

What platforms are you looking at for posting your XML document?

dumb idea... have you thought about setting up your servlet so that it would take incomming data from an Email?

cheers

Posted By:   Bryan_Dollery  
Posted On:   Wednesday, October 23, 2002 03:47 AM

SOAP
About | Sitemap | Contact