dcsimg
VisualAge for Java 3.5 won't start
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Lee_Timms
Posted On:   Monday, October 21, 2002 08:34 AM

I was running a text file parser I had built in the VisualAge environment which caused the computer to freeze. When I rebooted the computer, VisualAge would go through the procedure to reconnect to the Repository and then nothing happens, meaning VisualAge does not start, it just disappears. Also, you can not try to start it again because something is still running in regards to VisualAge 3.5 . this is a bit frustrating. I have tried using a backed up version of the repository and the WSData.dat files to no success. Help!!!

Re: VisualAge for Java 3.5 won't start

Posted By:   douglas_yeager  
Posted On:   Monday, October 21, 2002 05:26 PM

This does happen occasionally. First i would make sure you have upgraded to version 3.53. Version 3.50 has bugs that generally lock up the IDE. Another fix i've found for this situation is to look in the install directory of visualage..

ex)yourdrive:Program FilesIBMVisualAge for Javaideprogram

for a file called busy.sav (it seems like a file used as a semaphore ...or flag that it visualage is running). I've found just deleting this file, and making sure the process IDE.exe is not running in the tasks window, then restart it, and hopefully it comes up ok. This next part sounds strange, but i've noticed any changes i had made when it locked up, may not exist when it reopens. But once i make any change, my previous changes appear. But dont always count on it.

Posted By:   Jeanne_Boyarsky  
Posted On:   Monday, October 21, 2002 05:18 PM

Once you have a new ide.icx file, delete busy.sav (a zero KB file) so that VAJ knows it should stop working.

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Monday, October 21, 2002 10:13 AM

This means your workspace is corrupted, and you need to replace your ide.icx file with a previous backup (or you can get it from someone else) or reinstall VisualAge. This behaviour is pretty common with VA, so always keep a backup of the ide.icx file.
About | Sitemap | Contact