CVS with UNIX Samba
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Insoo_Lee
Posted On:   Friday, October 18, 2002 01:17 PM

Helo, I am trying out IntelliJ 2.6 I have installed it on PC (NT). Just to summarize - here is my situation. 1) CVS ROOT is residing on unix box. 2) I have a samba login to the unix box - so I can access it from PC as if it was one of those network drives (ie. d:src...) 3) I checked out code to unix directory using unix cvs from unix (I have to use unix cvs to check it out. If I do it from the PC using PC cvs.exe to check it out to unix directory linked with Samba, unix cvs diff or none of cvs command will work from unix term!) 4) IDEA running on PC and project source is linked to unix box through Samba (shown as D:src....) Now everything   More>>

Helo, I am trying out IntelliJ 2.6
I have installed it on PC (NT).

Just to summarize - here is my situation.

1) CVS ROOT is residing on unix box.

2) I have a samba login to the unix box - so I can access it from PC as if it was one of those network drives (ie. d:src...)

3) I checked out code to unix directory using unix cvs from unix (I have to use unix cvs to check it out. If I do it from the PC using PC cvs.exe to check it out to unix directory linked with Samba, unix cvs diff or none of cvs command will work from unix term!)

4) IDEA running on PC and project source is linked to unix box through Samba (shown as D:src....)

Now everything is working great, but
how would I configure cvs?

In Default Project Properties

Path to CVS client:

Should it be semething like

C:insooProgramsWinCvs 1.2cvs.exe (where PC cvs program is)

or

D:/nyampnfs67_export/opt6/bin/cvs

Also,

CVS Roots:

Should it be like

:local:D:
yampnfs67_exportopt6userscvsroot
(where D: is my samba drive to unix)

or

:pserver:leeins@myunix.com:/opt/cvsroot

Someone suggested me to use PC cvs.exe to check out the code, but that would prevent me from running any cvs command from unix.

Help!

Thanks

<<Less

Re: CVS with UNIX Samba

Posted By:   Jeff_Hubbach  
Posted On:   Saturday, October 19, 2002 01:30 PM

1) Why aren't you doing the development on your local box (ie, not on a directory mounted from the Unix box)?

2) My guess is that the reason the Unix CVS commands don't work if you use cvs.exe on the Windows box is because the CVS directories are getting created as "cvs" on the unix box. If this is the case, then check your samba definitions on the Unix box to make sure that case is preserved. We haven't had any problems with doing checkouts on a windows box to a samba mount from a Unix box, then going to the Unix box and running CVS commands.

Re: CVS with UNIX Samba

Posted By:   Randy_Pond  
Posted On:   Friday, October 18, 2002 02:03 PM

I came across a similar type problem with our CVS Ant task. I was running WinCVS on a Windows box, and trying to run an Ant task that accessed CVS.

The problem was caused by the long directory names. The default installation for WinCVS is C:Program FilesGNUWinCVS 1.2. When I reinstalled WinCVS (and CVS) to a simple directory (c:cvs), the Ant CVS problems went away.

Hope this helps!

Randy Pond

About | Sitemap | Contact