uid missing in incoming mail
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Narayan_Joshi
Posted On:   Friday, September 27, 2002 11:26 PM

Dear Friends,  &nbsp  I have a Red Hat Linux 6.1 having configured imap & pop3 server configured on it. Now, in my server every incoming mail is stored in /var/spool/mail/ folder.In this folder a flat file is created for every user and his incoming mail are stored in his flat file. It's oK.  &nbsp  Now, in that flat file (e.g. /var/spool/mail/user1) , what i guess is every incoming mail is stored with one uid . But, in some cases , some mails are having uid and some mail are not having uid field. This is the problem that i am facing. I want to use this field as unique message id in my mail client.  &nbsp  but, as stated above some mail are not ha   More>>

Dear Friends,

&nbsp 
I have a Red Hat Linux 6.1 having configured imap & pop3 server configured on it. Now, in my server every incoming mail is stored in /var/spool/mail/ folder.In this folder a flat file is created for every user and his incoming mail are stored in his flat file. It's oK.

&nbsp 
Now, in that flat file (e.g. /var/spool/mail/user1) ,
what i guess is every incoming mail is stored with one uid . But, in some cases , some mails are having uid and some mail are not having uid field. This is the problem that i am facing. I want to use this field as unique message id in my mail client.

&nbsp 
but, as stated above some mail are not having uid, then it will cause problem for me. so, can anybody solve this problem ? I want to use uid for unique mesage id.

&nbsp 
Is there any alternative of uid available ? so, that with help of that option i can uniqelly identify my all mail in one mail-file.

[ i don't want to be dependent on message-number in javamail API]

Thank You.

<<Less

Re: uid missing in incoming mail

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Monday, September 30, 2002 08:17 AM

Email clients are supposed to generate unique "message-id" values and put them in a header, on outgoing mail, but it's not always dependable.

POP and IMAP mail clients sometimes add their own tracking id (I think this is what you mean when you say a "uid"?) to the messages they read, on a server. They have to generate the id, add it to a header, and store the modified message back to the server.

About | Sitemap | Contact