1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Narayan_Joshi
Posted On:   Thursday, September 26, 2002 07:39 AM

on linux mail server, if we create folder with help of following method :-

folder.create(Folder.HOLDS_MESSAGES);

-- then where will it create a folder ?

-- what i want is the folder should be created in a mail folder in home directory of user.

e.g. if i want to create folder named folder_1 in user1 's mail directory in his home directory (i.e. /home/user1/mail ) ,

so that finally the folder should have path

/home/user1/mail/folder_1

HOW TO ACHIEVE THIS ?

Thank You.

Re: where folder is created ?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Thursday, September 26, 2002 11:37 AM

Depends on the mail server that is managing the mail folders, where it is configured to keep them. I assume it is an IMAP server.

So, where are the existing folders, that were created by this mail server and are managed by it? presumably a new one will be created in the same place (relative to username). Also depending on the server, the additional folders might be files (one file per folder, messages appended to the single file), or they might be directories (one directory per folder, each message in an individual file in that directory).

(remember that in Unix where a user has a shell account, they may have several different locations where saved mail is stored, depending on which mail client they use; so the IMAP server might create one e.g. a directory "user1/mail", but then Unix Mail or Solaris Mailtool might also create just the file "mbox", and "mutt" and Netscape mail and Emacs RMAIL might each create their own file or directory, etc.)

In the past my old Unix accounts would sometimes have like 5 or 6 separate places where different mail clients (e.g., Andrew mail, MH, Emacs, Unix Mail, Solaris Mailtool, Mutt, MM, Pine, ...) each moved messages, and most of them didn't know about the others' saved message stores/folders.

Also note that the main "inbox" or "maildrop" is usually not in the same location, as the additional folders where saved mail is explicitly moved or stored. e.g. the main maildrop might be "/var/mail/user1" and all the mail client applications share it (and must lock it), but then their additional folders will probably be under the user's home directory as you suggested, e.g. "/home/user1/mail/folder1".

About | Sitemap | Contact