TM4J vs JENA
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Paul_Matthews
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 24, 2002 09:41 AM

Hi, I'm planning a content aggregation webapp using either TM4J/Topic maps or JENA/rdf in a TOMCAT environment. I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experience using either of these methods for building decent sized information systems. I've seen various demos but they are all fairly skinny. I'd like to know about the ease / robustness of building search systems / reporting / navigation functionality with these packages.

Thanks in advance for any tidbits you can offer

Re: TM4J vs JENA

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Sunday, October 27, 2002 10:33 PM

I did use rdf in the past, for a system that needed to index some none exesting content. I was basically generating rdf files describing pieces of data content that could be assembled in various ways. Indexing the rdf descriptors allowed several unrelated pieces of content to be returned in the same search request. Access to the content was then dynamic, and allowed these pieces of content to be assembled in a single HTML page and returned together.

My understanding of topic maps is that they sit higher in the food chain than rdf. rdf is a generic metadata creation framework that can be used even for the creation and representation of topic maps. Even though a several years old technology, rdf has failed to create a vast support, partly because it is not really an XML technology (i keep reading that the next version will be amended to comply with XML)... topic maps on the other hands are based on XML from the start, and have a broader support in the open source community.

cheers,

About | Sitemap | Contact