What are the new features in Java 7?
Major changes in JDK7 include the following:
- JSR 203: More New I/O APIs for the Java Platform - You can now transform File to Path, bind a channel’s socket and manipulate socket options directly, and run tens of thousands of streams in separate threads with true asynchronous I/O.
- JSR 292: Dynamically Typed Languages on the Java Platform - The Da Vinci Machine Project extends JVM support to dynamic languages.
- JSR 334: Small Enhancements to the Java Programming Language - Project Coin adds a number of small changes to Java.
- JSR 199: Java Compiler API - The API has been updated to provide Java compiler-to-programmatic interaction, as well as the javac command-line tool.
- JSR 206: Java API for XML Processing (JAXP) - This API allows Java to process XML code.
- JSR 222: Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB) - JAXB maps Java classes to XML representations.
- JSR 224: Java API for XML-Based Web Services (JAX-WS) - This API provides a programming model for developing Web services applications and clients.
- JSR 269: Pluggable Annotation-Processing API - This API includes powerful new features for annotating classes, fields and methods.
Developer.com article on Java 7 features