Can we develop in SOAP an activeX web component
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Karthik_Nataraj
Posted On:   Monday, September 16, 2002 08:56 AM

Hi All, I am new to SOAP and beginner in VB. I did some examples of SOAP provided with the SOAP tool kit. I designed an activeX component (VB OCX) and embeded in our tool. But this is not supported by few browsers. So our client want to redesign or completely discard the activeX component and go for SOAP. But according to what I studied SOAP seems to be a middle tier protocol that interprets messages to and from applications. My activeX component has standard VB objects like "command button", "text boxes", "Slider control", ... and mainly "WebBrowser control". This activeX control I packaged into a CAB file and called in the html files with the object tab. So this activeX is also to be   More>>

Hi All,

I am new to SOAP and beginner in VB. I did some examples of SOAP provided with the SOAP tool kit. I designed an activeX component (VB OCX) and embeded in our tool. But this is not supported by few browsers. So our client want to redesign or completely discard the activeX component and go for SOAP. But according to what I studied SOAP seems to be a middle tier protocol that interprets messages to and from applications.

My activeX component has standard VB objects like "command button", "text boxes", "Slider control", ... and mainly "WebBrowser control". This activeX control I packaged into a CAB file and called in the html files with the object tab. So this activeX is also to be signed to be safe and it does require some modification's in the client's browser settings. To avoid these I want to develop the above same component in SOAP. Is this possible? If yes How?

Please reply immediately.

<<Less

Re: Can we develop in SOAP an activeX web component

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Monday, October 28, 2002 01:05 AM

First of all, and as you pointed out yourself, SOAP is only a protocol. So the sentence "I want to develop the above same component in SOAP" is not applicable. SOAP is not a programming language, and much less an object development framework. SOAP is a protocol for representing remore application calls in text format as XML messages.

As for using native functionalities inside Java, this is entirely possible in a native application. However, Java has an even stricter security model than ActiveX objects. The Java VM enforces a strict control over what is and what is not allowed. Direct access to the underlying operating system is not allowed (thank god) inside a Java applet. However, similarily to ActiveX, there is the concept of signed code, and the possibility to grant it (configuration on the client machine) some extended priviledges.

cheers,
laurent

Re: Can we develop in SOAP an activeX web component

Posted By:   Steven_Martin  
Posted On:   Monday, September 16, 2002 10:57 AM

SOAP will not give you a UI. With Java you can use Swing or JSP to do so.

Make sure that SOAP is the best protocol versues MQSeries or just plain RMI.
About | Sitemap | Contact